When I think back to growing up, certain foods (particularly sweet treats of course) figure prominently in my memories. I remember my obsession with fruit roll-ups, Big Stick popsicles and Thrifty’s Medieval Madness ice cream. Any hint of these and I’m instantly transported back to childhood. But one, sweet item that really sticks out and takes me right back to the playground is Otis Spunkmeyer Chocolate Chunk Cookies. As a kid I loved them above the rest. When it was school fundraiser time and there were Otis Spunkmeyer cookies to be sold, I was a happy girl!
When I rediscovered Otis Spunkmeyer last year I was taken right back to that happy place. You can only imagine how excited I was to learn that they are expanding beyond their chocolate chunk cookie to a whole line of sweet treats that will be available nationwide at retail stores. A few things you should know about me: 1. I love snack cakes and 2. I love anything in mini form. Much to my delight, Otis Spunkmeyer’s new line includes golden crème cakes and mini blueberry muffins, among others! Check out the full new line of treats here – all these delicious snacks hit shelves in Walmart this month, and are also available at Amazon Fresh and other retailers nationally, including Gelson’s Vons, Pavilions, and Sam’s Club in the greater Los Angeles area. To get you as amped up as I am about these desserts, I partnered with Otis Spunkmeyer to create some fun recipes using their new sweets. You can check them out at www.OtisSpunkmeyer.com to start planning out your weekend dessert adventures.
One of my favorites of these new recipes incorporates Otis Spunkmeyer Golden Crème Cakes. It’s my easy-to-whip-up version of Baked Alaska. The Golden Crème Cake is layered with my favorite strawberry ice cream and then coated in a homemade meringue. The fun part is torching it as it floats over a sea of sweetened condensed milk. It is simple, fun and will certainly impress any dinner party guest!
Here’s the recipe:
Golden Crème Cake Individual Baked Alaska
makes 8 individual baked alaskas
- 8 golden creme cakes
- 1 cup of your favorite ice cream
- swiss meringue:
- 5 egg whites
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk for garnish
- Cut creme cakes in half.
- Using a small melon ball scooper, fill scooper half way and top bottom half of creme cake. Repeat on the other side of the crème cake until entire bottom piece is topped with ice cream.
- Once ice cream is scooped onto bottom half of crème cake, cover with the top segment of cake. Place on a plate or baking sheet, cover with parchment or plastic wrap and place in freezer for 1 hour or overnight.
- Prepare swiss meringue. Whisk egg whites and sugar together in the bowl of a stand mixer. Place the bowl of the stand mixer over a double boiler and heat, stirring occasionally until egg whites are warm and sugar is dissolved.
- Return bowl to stand mixer and whip with whisk attachment on medium high until stiff peaks form. Add salt and vanilla extract and whip for a minute longer to combine. Cool slightly before using.
- Take crème cakes from freezer and transfer to a serving dish. Using an off set spatula, cover with meringue on all sides.
- Using a home use propane torch, brown/toast meringue.
- Add sweetened condensed milk to base of dish. Serve immediately.