After several weeks of decadently delicious Muffin Monday recipes, this week’s muffin puts the brakes on enticingly sweet and sinful ingredients for something more on the healthy side – granola. These granola muffins were barely sweet with a hearty and wholesome nuttiness. For this recipe I used my favorite granola that is packed with big granola clusters, plenty of almonds, walnuts and pecans, some dried cherries and cranberries and a wonderful honey vanilla sweetness. Since I did not have whole-wheat flour on hand I used all purpose white flour for the muffins along with thick Greek style yogurt for moisture. The muffins are not very sweet, but I guess that is the healthy part of it. Having the savage sweet tooth I do, I plan on adding brown sugar and a honey cream cheese frosting next go round! The texture has a pillowy appeal while still maintaining a nice chewy bite. Simple and quick to whip up, this muffin is a nourishing way to start the morning.
The smell of muffin goodness wafting from the oven was the perfect kick-start to my vacation. I packed my leftover muffins just before heading to the airport and I will happily consume them during my long flight to Vietnam. Now, time for vacation!
I hope you all have a wonderful week and be sure to eat some muffins!
Muffin Monday is an initiative by Baker Street. A culinary journey of sharing a wickedly delicious muffin recipe every week. Drop in a quick line to join her on her journey to make the world smile and beat glum Monday mornings week after week.
Granola Muffins recipe from BakerStreettv.com
1 cup granola
1/2 cup low-fat milk
1 cup flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large or extra large eggs
1/4 cup mild honey, such as clover
1/2 cup plain low-fat Greek yogurt or Buttermilk
1/4 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
– Preheat the oven to 375ºF with a rack in the middle. Grease 12 muffin cups.
– In a bowl combine the granola and milk in a bowl and let sit for 30 minutes. Drain and dry on paper towels.
– Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
– In medium bowl, beat together the eggs, honey, buttermilk or yogurt, canola oil and vanilla. Quickly whisk in the flour, then fold in the granola. Combine well but do not over mix!
– Spoon into muffin cups, filling each about 3/4 full.
– Bake 20 to 25 minutes, until lightly browned. Cool on baking rack.
Yield: 12 muffins