I love summer. There is a carefree feeling that comes with summertime. Summer is an excuse to go to the beach because it is too hot in the city. Summer is a reason to eat one to many strawberries because they are in season. Summer is a time to enjoy warm nights under the stars. I love lazy summer afternoon naps. I love summer bbqs. I love heirloom tomatoes. I love summertime concerts. It is official I am in love with summer! Here is an abridged list of my summer loves. There are many more I could list but I’m not trying to write a book here. Enjoy!
Only in the summertime:
- Nothing says summer like the Hollywood Bowl. I have already seen 2 shows so far and have 4 more on my roster. The open air, the stars, the LA Phil, a picnic and friends. There is no better way to enjoy the summer and to enjoy Los Angeles.
- Only in summer can you enjoy an outdoor screening in a cemetery. Bring a blanket and get there early to enjoy a film under the stars Saturday nights at the Hollywood Forever Cemetery.
- Grab a book and leave the heat and the crowds- during the week that is. Weekdays escape to Huntington Gardens and relax under the shade of their beautiful trees or go north to Malibu and enjoy the crashing waves of El Matador state beach.
- All summer long the W Hotel in Westwood is hosting Sunday Summer Cinemas at their poolside. Enjoy a movie along with gourmet snacks and cocktails from their restaurant The Backyard. First come first serve and it is free, so get there early and grab a comfy chaise lounge.
- With summer comes Clementine’s Summer BBQ Fridays. The menu changes weekly, but always includes a variety of mouthwatering delights. Be sure to pair your BBQ selection of choice with their homemade ginger limeade it is not to be missed!
- Enjoy the perfect calm of a Los Angeles summer night on the patio of Street for an eclectic and inspiring dinner.
- Cool off with a Locali homemade snow cone (the store is open late til’ 11pm). Or if you can catch their Icycle (bicycle pedaled popsicle truck) then grab a gourmet flavored pop instead- I enjoyed the mojito and the strawberry lemonade.
- If you want something cool but not too icy head over to Yogurtland in Little Tokyo. At this frozen yogurt shop you make it yourself. Choose your flavor or flavors however much you are so inclined to indulge in and top it with the array of treats from mochi to strawberries. There is plenty of seating outside so enjoy the warm night air with your cold summer treat.
- Malo offers a $1 Taco Mondays. While not every taco on the menu is $1 they are pretty affordable and damn delicious. Gather a group of friends and enjoy their large patio seating for a fun Silverlake night.
- Every Wednesday Silverlake Wine hosts a 3 glass wine tasting in the lobby of the Standard Downtown from 5pm-8pm. Come early and enjoy the sun poolside at the Standard’s rooftop or stay late for some after dark tunes on the roof.
- Ciudad has a happy hour Mon-Fri 4-7pm in their bar. The best mojitos in town are only $4.50 with an equally affordable and tasty bar menu. Afterwards enjoy downtown- the MOCA is open until 8pm on Thursdays or there is the Downtown Art-walk the 2nd Thursday of every month. If you want to enjoy summer under the skyline of downtown Ciudad also offers a Mojito Dinner on the patio tonight (July 15th) 4 courses 4 cocktails.
- For more cocktail fun try the Roosevelt’s Tropicana Bar. Sit on lush daybeds along the pool while sipping your cocktails. DJ’s spinning tunes nightly.
- For summer the Edison Downtown has introduced summer inspired concoctions. Try their modernized Mai Tai or their Amelie the “classic champagne and strawberries”.
- Obviously anytime of year is a good time of year for Tiki Ti’s but there is no time like summer to enjoy tropical refreshing drinks. If you can’t get away or before you get away, escape to your tropical destination of choice through one of their tropical cocktails.
- My favorite summer libation of them all is sangria at the Do-Over. Every Sunday until Halloween there is a backyard style energetic party at Crane’s of Hollywood. Get there early and stay there late. Drink the hot summer day away while jumping to the beat of their guest DJ’s. And don’t bother with a glass of sangria go straight for the pitcher!
Diana HSeptember 2, 2009
Someday I'll make it out there, sounds like there is a ton of things to do.