La Newyorkina Mexican Ice & Sweets | NYC

When summer temperatures start to rise to a scorching high, I desperately seek an ice-cold sweet reprieve. On a recent trip to New York I found just that – the perfect cold summer refreshment from La Newyorkina Mexican Ice & Sweets.  La Newyorkina is a paletas cart owned and operated by Fanny Gerson, offering Mexican inspired artisan popsicles (paletas: a quintessential Mexican frozen treat).

The mango-chile paleta bursts with bright, juicy mango chunks. Spicy chili flakes speckle the frozen delight offering bursts of heat to counteract the sweet juicy mango flavors.

I still dream about the pina colada paleta. It was milky and rich with thick strands of chewy coconut laced throughout. It was sweet and refreshing with a very present boozy bite. There were a variety of other boozy inspired paletas available, which I do not believe are available on normal occasion from the cart, this particular visit happen to be a private caterd event (lucky me!).

The paletas are inspired and well executed. I wish I was able to enjoy the avocado or the horchata that are also featured on the menu, but now I have something to look forward to on my next NY visit.

Cool and refreshing, I wish LA has it’s own version of La Newyorkina to help us Angelinos beat that summer heat!

* If you are lucky enough to live in NYC you can find La Newyorkina at the Hester Street Fair or book them for a private event*

8 Comments on La Newyorkina Mexican Ice & Sweets | NYC

1. Baker Street
    August 11, 2011 at 8:14 am (3 years ago)

a boozy ice pop. now that’s totally my kinda way to beat the heat.

2. Adrianna from A Cozy Kitchen
    August 11, 2011 at 5:02 pm (3 years ago)

That pina colada paleta has me swooning! There are so many more places I need to hit up the next time when I’m in NY! This being one of them. :)

3. Esi
    August 11, 2011 at 10:43 pm (3 years ago)

Mmm, that mango chile sounds awesome.

4. Anna A
    August 12, 2011 at 7:06 am (3 years ago)

mmmmmm i want that pina colada paleta too! they are heard to find in pdx.

5. carolineadobo
    August 12, 2011 at 8:28 am (3 years ago)

Those paletas looks so good, kinda reminds me Filipino ice candy (on a stick) with all the chunks of fruits in there. You’re right, someone should get one started here in LA.

6. Nastassia
    August 12, 2011 at 5:10 pm (3 years ago)

A- Boozy ice pop for the win.

Adriana – Too many good places in NY so jealous of them!

Esi- Mango chili was such a nice balance of spicy sweet

Anna – The thick coconut strips in it made it the best pina colada i’ve ever had!

Caroline- The chunks of fruit really make it! And yes we need one so maybe you can start it ;)

7. Natalie of Fashion Intel
    August 19, 2011 at 8:14 pm (3 years ago)

These look pretty tasty! L.A. has lots of great paleta spots, let me know if you need any recommendations.

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on La Newyorkina Mexican Ice & Sweets | NYC